TRAFFIC is starting to build up back on to the A34 because of the new contraflow on the Southern Bypass because of the Kennington roundabout work.
Drivers are having to wait in both directions on the A423 Southern Bypass, whilst there are delays southbound just before the Hinksey Hill sliproad on the A34.
The traffic is expected to get worse because of the contraflow between roundabouts for Abingdon Road and the A34.
The X13/X3 services to and from Abingdon are currently diverting via St Swithuns Road, while there are 30 minute delays for the X3, X13, 13 and 35 services.
It comes after a horrific morning commute for thousands of motorists. There were queues northbound on the A34 as far south as Milton.
There were reports on Twitter from frustrated drivers that northbound traffic coming into the city was at a "standstill."
Traffic jams were reported to be stretching from Hinskey all the way along the A34 to Drayton.
Drivers travelling in the area are expected to suffer “severe” delays after Oxfordshire County Council warned last week the next phase of the improvement scheme at the junctions was set to begin on Sunday.
- Gridlocked traffic at the Kennington roundabout as work begins
Drivers from South Oxfordshire and the Vale saw their journey times into Oxford almost triple this morning as roadworks hampered their morning commute.
Some said on social media that the drive from Abingdon to Oxford – normally 20 to 25 minutes – had been taking longer than an hour and a quarter. Northbound traffic coming into the city was said to be at a "standstill."
Drivers travelling in the area should expect to suffer severe delays, Oxfordshire County Council warned last week, after the next phase of the improvement scheme at the Oxford junctions began on Sunday.
That has seen a 24-hour contraflow system introduced between Hinksey Hill Interchange and Heyford Hill Interchange, which is expected to last until November.
As a result of the contraflow system, there is also restricted to side roads of the A423.
It is hoped that when the work, which will convert Kennington Roundabout into a “hamburger” junction, will eventually reduce congestion.
Oxford Bus Company said its X13, 13 and X3 services were all affected and Stagecoach said its 3, 12, 16, X30, 31 and 34 services were all facing delays. One bus passenger said his journey from Abingdon on the X3 had taken more than two hours to reach Oxford Station.
- Our top stories:
- New faces around the county council cabinet table
- Oxfordshire detective is a contestant on Channel 4 survival show The Island with Bear Grylls
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street
- Chain running Randolph Hotel in Oxford in 'best shape ever' after announcing £55m profit
- Cyclist and car involved in collision outside Seacourt Tower
- Oxford United vow to act quickly to resolve flag-waving dispute
- UPDATE: Three more men arrested in connection with attempted murder after altercation in Banbury
- Oxford United v Swindon Town - UPDATES