POLICE have this morning said protests by a group calling itself the National Front and anti-facism demonstrators are likely to be peaceful but they are taking precautions.
The force has been told of both demonstrations by the National Front and Oxford Unite Against Fascism would be in Oxford city centre.
Supt Christian Bunt, LPA commander for Oxford, said: "We have nothing to suggest these will be anything other than peaceful demonstrations.
"However I am aware that Oxford city is very busy on Saturdays in July and these are likely to cause some disruption.
"We have got a police operation in place today that is proportionate to deal with any demonstrations and any other issues we may have today."
- Superintendent Christian Bunt
Our top stories:
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street