POLICE have this morning said protests by a group calling itself the National Front and anti-facism demonstrators are likely to be peaceful but they are taking precautions.
The force has been told of both demonstrations by the National Front and Oxford Unite Against Fascism would be in Oxford city centre.
Supt Christian Bunt, LPA commander for Oxford, said: "We have nothing to suggest these will be anything other than peaceful demonstrations.
"However I am aware that Oxford city is very busy on Saturdays in July and these are likely to cause some disruption.
"We have got a police operation in place today that is proportionate to deal with any demonstrations and any other issues we may have today."
- Superintendent Christian Bunt
Our top stories:
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay
- Five things you need to know in Oxfordshire today
- Management consultants Newton Europe named Business of the Year at 2016 Oxfordshire Business Awards
- Eating Weetabix and brown rice could help prevent an early death say experts
- VIDEO: Kerry Reeves' mother bravely faces her 'beautiful' daughter's killers in emotional tribute
- Prisons' shake-up will be at heart of today's Queen's Speech