Mothers united in grief as killers sentenced at Oxford Crown Court

Mehfooz Akhtar and Samantha Shrewsbury

Mehfooz Akhtar and Samantha Shrewsbury

First published in News
Last updated
Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Senior reporter. Call me on (01865) 425373

TWO mothers embraced outside Oxford Crown Court on the day the killers of their children were finally put behind bars.

But both Samantha Shrewsbury and Mehfooz Akhtar have said the pain of their losses are still with them every day of their lives.

Their emotional exchange came minutes after Fiaz Munshi received a 13-year sentence for the manslaughter of two of Mrs Akhtar’s children in an arson attack 17 years ago.

And moments later Ben Blakeley was sentenced to life in prison, with a minimum term of 20 years, for the murder of Miss Shrewsbury’s daughter Jayden Parkinson.

In personal statements read out in court, both women described the grief and suffering they still endure.

Mrs Akhtar wrote about the deaths of Anum, eight, and Majid, 15, when a house fire was started at their Magdalen Road home on August 26, 1997.

Oxford Mail:

Fiaz Munshi

She said: “As a mother, my life has been replaced with a pain that I can’t describe, but I feel with every breath I take.”

Oxford Mail:

Ben Blakeley

  • Listen: Miss Sherwsbury and Jayden's grandfather talk about their life sentence

And Miss Shrewsbury said since Jayden was strangled by Blakeley in a jealous rage on December 3 last year, she can barely eat or sleep.

Her statement read: “Every night I go to bed fearing nightmares of Jayden and the cruelty with which she was treated.”

  • Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT depending on what services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
  • Our top stories

New: Get Oxford Mail news alerts sent direct to your phone via Whatsapp

Oxford Mail: Whats App logo

11:50am Tuesday 3rd June 2014

OXFORD Mail readers can now sign up to get major breaking news alerts sent direct to their mobile phones with a new service using Whatsapp.

Set for a battle of Blenheim over 1,500 homes plan

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Tuesday 9th September 2014

RESIDENTS in Woodstock have vowed to “fight until the bitter end” against plans to build up to 1,500 homes east of the town.

Delays of up to 40 minutes on bus services across the county

Oxford Mail: Traffic Alert general

9:00am Tuesday 9th September 2014

STAGECOACH Oxfordshire has warned that passengers face delays of up to 40 minutes this morning.

Harassment cop sacked for gross misconduct

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

8:30am Tuesday 9th September 2014

A DETECTIVE has been sacked after harassing a member of police staff, the force said yesterday.

Fears as boat owners’ group claims new area of riverbank

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Tuesday 9th September 2014

RESIDENTS say they are worried about another attempt by boat owners to grab land alongside waterways in the city.

Mum cleared of breaking baby daughter’s leg

Oxford Mail: The Horton General Hospital, Banbury

6:30am Tuesday 9th September 2014

A TEENAGER accused of breaking her baby daughter’s leg broke down in tears as she was cleared yesterday.

 

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree