Charity car rally from Witney to France in £120,000 bonanza

The rally from Witney to its twin town Le Touquet      Pictures: Simon Williams/OX68857Mark Hemsworth

The rally from Witney to its twin town Le Touquet Pictures: Simon Williams/OX68857Mark Hemsworth Buy this photo

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter covering North Oxford, Jericho and Summertown. Call me on 01865 425498

A CAR rally from Witney to its French twin town Le Touquet raised £120,000 for charity, organisers have confirmed.

The Twin Town Challenge saw 50 teams drive the route in cars worth £500 or less to raise money for Charlbury-based organisation SpecialEffect, which adapts video games systems for people with disabilities.

On the way, drivers visited race tracks and completed Top Gear-inspired tasks.

Event organiser Brendon Cross, managing director of telecoms company STL Communications, said: “It seems absolutely bonkers really. We originally set out to raise £50,000 when we had just 25 cars signed up, then that went up to £70,000 when we signed up 50. And we revised that up again to £100,000 after an auction.

“But we have been completely bowled over by the generosity of everyone involved. It has just been fantastic.”

Mr Cross, below, said a celebratory premiere of a film made about the event would be screened in Witney’s Cineworld complex on September 4 at 7pm, with a “VIP champagne reception” at High Street restaurant the Blue Boar afterwards. The special guests have not yet been confirmed.

Oxford Mail:

The Twin Town Challenge, which took place in May, attracted sponsors from around Oxfordshire including Wychwood Brewery, STL Communications, Gamma, Brethertons and others.

Money was raised through corporate sponsorship and the £995 entry fee each team paid to take part, as well as from an auction of about 20 of the participating cars afterwards, which raised another £9,000. And a final push of some £20,000 brought the total to its latest milestone, mainly thanks to the sale of the remaining cars, as well as private donations.

The charity relies entirely on charitable donations but has recently started facing international demand after videos it posted of the work it had done to help people were seen by thousands of internet users on YouTube.

Chief executive Dr Mick Donegan told the Oxford Mail in June that the charity now helps 12 times as many people as when he founded it in 2007. In the last year alone it has helped 600.

SpecialEffect spokesman Nick Streeter said the money had already helped the charity to expand its office space and buy new equipment.

He said: “We are absolutely delighted with this success. The money raised will help us meet the growing need for our services to people with disabilities locally and further afield – people who, without our help, could potentially feel isolated and lacking in mental stimulation.

“We may still be considered a small charity, but we are fortunate to be supported by people with very big hearts and an incredible passion for what we do.”

The next Twin Town Challenge, which Mr Cross will announce in September, has already been pencilled in for May 27 to 30, in 2016.

 

Our top stories:

MP calls for a public inquiry into failures to protect girls

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 4th March 2015

CALLS for an independent inquiry into the Bullfinch child abuse scandal and police and social services’ failings were growing last night.

Evidence of gang's organised abuse was ignored for years

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 4th March 2015

CHILD protection authorities feared an organised gang of paedophiles was prostituting vulnerable girls four years before Operation Bullfinch was launched – but nothing was done.

This was an honest review, says Hudspeth

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 4th March 2015

THE leader of Oxfordshire County Council said “everyone was open and honest” about the failings exposed by the Serious Case Review.

Campaigner calling for heads to roll

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 4th March 2015

A CHILD safety campaigner last night accused Joanna Simons and Sara Thornton of lacking integrity for refusing to take personal responsibility for Oxfordshire County Council and Thames Valley Police’s failings.

County council chief executive says she will not quit early

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 4th March 2015

JOANNA Simons has resisted calls for her resignation and refused to say if she would take a pay off when she leaves Oxfordshire County Council.

Chief Constable admits that force failed victims but says it has improved

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 4th March 2015

CHIEF constable Sara Thornton yesterday refused to accept responsibility for the failings within Thames Valley Police.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree