A 20-YEAR-OLD man has been jailed for five years and six months for rape at Oxford Crown Court.
Jamie Williams, of Chaffinch Walk, Greater Leys, Oxford, denied forcing a woman to perform a sex act on him.
But on Monday, after a three-day trial and almost six hours of deliberations, a jury convicted him of carrying out the crime on Christmas Day, 2011.
Opening her case to the jury prosecutor Lesley Bates described the circumstances of the offence.
She said: “The defendant was drunk, he had been out on Christmas Eve. He became aggressive and threatening towards her. She pleaded with him ‘please don’t hurt me’.”
The barrister added: “At first she said no but he slapped her repeatedly across the face, telling her to do it.
“She was afraid of him and she did what she was told.”
And on Friday, Claire Fraser, defending, said since the offence was committed her client had served a three-year sentence at Bullingdon Prison for causing grievous bodily harm with intent. She said: “He is a different person to the person who released from custody in September last year.
“He was particularly young at the time this offence was committed and has changed a great deal since then.”
Judge Ian Pringle said he had taken into account the change in Williams since he came out of prison in September.
But he added that what the defendant had done had a “destructive” effect on his victim. He jailed Williams and made a restraining order indefinitely banning contact with the complainant.
Our top stories:
9:00am Friday 30th January 2015
THE family of man who escaped a mental hospital, fled abroad then hanged himself in a prison cell have said he was let down by Oxford Health.
12:06pm Thursday 29th January 2015
SNOW has been forecast for Oxfordshire on Sunday and Monday and a yellow weather warning is still in place for today.
Oxfordshire County Council chief executive Joanna Simons to stand down in June - and will not be replaced
1:10pm Friday 30th January 2015
OXFORDSHIRE'S biggest local authority will scrap its top unelected position as part of a radical shake-up to save costs, it was revealed today.
1:13pm Friday 30th January 2015
A MAN has today appeared in court accused of three arson attacks in South Oxfordshire, including those that destroyed district council offices and a funeral parlour.
10:34am Friday 30th January 2015
TWO people were arrested on suspicion of handling stolen goods and possession of class A drugs following a police raid.
9:10am Friday 30th January 2015
Traffic has returned to normal after an earlier accident on the A420.