Listen: Fiaz Munshi guilty of manslaughter over Magdalen Road arson as police apologise for blunder + Audio

Listen: Fiaz Munshi guilty of manslaughter over Magdalen Road arson as police apologise for blunder + Audio

Fiaz Munshi

Majid Khan

Anum Khan

First published in News
Last updated
Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Senior reporter. Call me on (01865) 425373

FIAZ MUNSHI has been found guilty of manslaughter and not guilty of murder over the deaths of two children in an arson attack in East Oxford in 1997.

The 38-year-old was convicted after a six-week trial at Oxford Crown Court of being involved in an arson attack in Magdalen Road, East Oxford, on August 26, 1997.

She denied murdering eight-year-old Anum Khan and her 15-year-old brother Majid after she was shamed in a family feud.

On both murder counts the jury found her not guilty.

But this afternoon there were gasps from the public gallery as the jury announced its unanimous decision after one-and-a-half days of deliberating.

Munshi had fled the country following the arson but returned in 2005. Police were told she was backed but did not follow that up and arrest her until 2013.

Today Detective Inspector Craig Kirby said he had apologised to the Khan family for that blunder.

He said: "I know the original investigation team did all they could to bring her to justice at the time.

"We regret the fact that the mistake that happened has led to this delay but that was not going to stop us proceeding with this case and facing whatever criticism there may be."

Munshi is now the seventh person to be convicted in relation to the fire, after five men received life sentences for murder in 1998 and her sister Riaz was jailed for manslaughter in 1999.

Munshi was not charged until October last year because a police error meant she was not arrested for nine years after returning to the UK from Pakistan.

The jury was told the Khan’s home was targeted amid a dispute between Munshi her sister Riaz and the family living there.

She will be sentenced on Thursday.

Mr Kirby, from the police's major crime unit, said: "I cannot put in to words how difficult this case has been for the family of Anum and Majid and I know how important this verdict is to them.

"I am grateful that we have finally been able to bring their long wait for justice to an end as the last person involved in this horrendous fire in 1997 has been convicted.

"I cannot praise the family enough, for their dignity, patience and courage throughout this lengthy investigation and trial, despite the unimaginable nightmare they have had to endure.

"Enquiries undertaken following the call from the family in 2012 have not established why action was not taken by TVP in 2005 to investigate the evidence against Fiaz Munshi however as soon as we identified this new opportunity to bring her to justice a full review of the case was conducted.

"I hope the verdict today sends a very clear message to anyone who thinks they have escaped justice that no matter how much time has passed we will continue to pursue you and bring you before the courts, no matter how long it takes."

Our top stories:

Video: Ex-headteacher found dead in Thames days before court appearance for molesting boys

Oxford Mail:

2:44pm Friday 27th March 2015

A FORMER headteacher due to be sentenced for molesting young boys was the man found dead in the Thames on Tuesday, it has emerged today.

Slavery: Police fear more victims as 10 arrested remain in custody + video

Oxford Mail:

8:59am Friday 27th March 2015

POLICE feared there could be more victims after 10 people were last night in custody after a series of anti-slavery raids.

Three boys arrested over series of sexual assaults on women in Oxford

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

2:52pm Friday 27th March 2015

THREE boys have been arrested on suspicion of a series of sexual assaults in Oxford.

Two men arrested over vehicle interference in Wallingford

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

1:53pm Friday 27th March 2015

TWO men from Oxford are in custody after being arrested on suspicion of vehicle interference.

UPDATED: Woman charged in connection with slavery raids appears in court

Oxford Mail:

10:37am Friday 27th March 2015

A WOMAN has been charged with slavery offences after 10 people were arrested yesterday in a series of dawn raids.

Missing girl Jennifer Moore found safe and well

Oxford Mail:

9:10am Friday 27th March 2015

A BICESTER teenager reported missing has been found safe and well, police said this morning.

 

 

 

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree