Blaze started by lit pipe led to man’s death

.

.

First published in News

A SECOND World War veteran died in his home in a fire started by his pipe, an inquest heard.

Oliver Minchin, 93, died at Preston Road, Abingdon, on January 26, after the blaze, Oxfordshire Coroner’s Court was told yesterday.

The court heard fire crews from Abingdon and Didcot arrived at the home at about 6pm after receiving two 999 calls.

Watch manager Mat Nind said the most probable cause of the fire was Mr Minchin dropping his lit pipe or tobacco on to his chair in the kitchen.

He added that a carbon monoxide alarm in the home activated, and that two pipes, a bag of tobacco and a knife were found on a silver trolley next to Mr Minchin, who had suffered severe burns.

Neighbour Monica Wreyford told the hearing in a statement that she visited Mr Minchin to give him his meals and that he had eaten cheese and biscuits at about 4pm.

At about 6pm her husband told her that Mr Minchin had set his house on fire.

Earlier this year she said Mr Minchin had served on battleships during the Second World War and survived two torpedo attacks.

Consultant pathologist Dr Lucy Winter, who carried out a post-mortem examination, said the cause of death was smoke inhalation and severe burns.

Mr Minchin, a retired accountant and widower, was also suffering from lung cancer but had told his GP he did not want it to be treated, the court was told.

Oxfordshire coroner Darren Salter recorded a verdict of accidental death. He said: “The most probable cause is the lit pipe or tobacco falling on to the fabric of the chair he was sitting on.”

• Our top stories:

Dagenham draw leaves Oxford United boss with mixed emotions

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Monday 1st September 2014

MICHAEL Appleton admitted he had never seen a game so wide open as Oxford United got off the mark with a topsy-turvy 3-3 draw at home to Dagenham & Redbridge.

Two-month amnesty for Oxford council tenants who sublet illegally

Oxford Mail: oxford city council logo

9:00am Monday 1st September 2014

Council tenants illegally subletting their homes are being given the chance to hand back the keys without prosecution.

Grandfather killed in Isle of Man motorbike crash 'died doing what he loved'

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Monday 1st September 2014

A former Formula 1 mechanic and Eynsham driving instructor has been killed in a motorbike crash on the Isle of Man.

Police to warn students of 'legal high' risks

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

8:30am Monday 1st September 2014

NEW students are to be warned by police about the dangers of so-called legal highs.

Theatrical costume charity faces final curtain after 46 years

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Monday 1st September 2014

Wanted: a new home for 7,000 costumes, accessories and props, 3,000sq m or more.

Pub is forced to close after brawls and drug incidents

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Monday 1st September 2014

AN OXFORD pub shut its doors for the last time on Saturday after recent incidents involving violence and drug use.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree