Oxford MailCycling scheme and traffic calming measures approved (From Oxford Mail)

Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting OXFORD NEWS to 80360 or email us

Cycling scheme and traffic calming measures approved

Oxford Mail: David Nimmo Smith David Nimmo Smith

TWO transport schemes were approved by Oxfordshire County Council’s cabinet member for transport yesterday.

They are a cycle scheme to link the Harwell science campus with Harwell village, and road humps and a puffin crossing in Middleton Stoney Road, Bicester.

David Nimmo Smith approved the schemes at his monthly delegated decisions meeting.

Plans for the Bicester scheme were drawn up because of the 1,585-home Kingsmere development to the south-west of the town. It will mean that 16 pairs of speed cushions will be installed along the road off Vendee Drive and the work would be funded by developers.

Mark Kemp, the council’s deputy director for economy and environment, said: “Extensive experience of similar calming measures in Oxfordshire in a wide range of environments have showed good levels of speed reduction and improved safety at locations where there was a prior accident problem.”

Meanwhile it is hoped that the cycle scheme will encourage employees at the Harwell campus to travel to work on two wheels rather than four.

It means a new roundabout will be created on the A417, while the Winnaway bridleway will be resurfaced and a shared use path will be created along the A4185.

This will be funded by the local enterprise partnership’s growing places fund.

Our top stories:

Retrial in case of Jake Blakeley set for January next year

Oxford Mail:

3:07pm Friday 1st August 2014

There will be a retrial in the case of Jake Blakeley, who was accused of preventing a lawful burial in the case of murdered teen Jayden Parkinson.

Junior joins United's ranks

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Friday 1st August 2014

Michael Appleton was thrilled Oxford United’s pat-ience paid off after they finally clinched the signing of Junior Brown last night.

Five police officers interviewed over handling of search for murdered Jayden Parkinson

Oxford Mail: Jayden Parkinson

10:24am Friday 1st August 2014

FIVE police officers have been served misconduct notices and are being interviewed over the handling of the search for murdered teenager Jayden Parkinson.

United opens doors to unemployed youngsters

Oxford Mail: oxford united logo 1200pix

9:00am Friday 1st August 2014

OXFORD United will today announce hundreds of new signings as it kicks off a scheme to help the city’s unemployed young people.

Facelift for towers has the backing of residents

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Friday 1st August 2014

RESIDENTS across the city have welcomed the new designs for Oxford’s five tower blocks.

Hundreds join protest against violence in Gaza

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Friday 1st August 2014

PRO-PALESTINE campaigners marched through Oxford last night calling for an end to Israeli violence in Gaza.

Academies stymie council’s autism database

Oxford Mail: oxfordshire county council logo round

8:30am Friday 1st August 2014

COUNCIL officials have been unable to put together a database of the number of Oxfordshire pupils on the autism spectrum who have been excluded from school.

Councils act as pong persists

Oxford Mail: oxford city council logo

8:00am Friday 1st August 2014

HEALTH officers from two councils are now investigating the cause of the smell reported across the county.

An ‘unusual’ rise in A&E visits hits waiting times

Oxford Mail: oxford university trust hospitals logo

7:00am Friday 1st August 2014

RISING A&E visits are seeing hospital staff struggle to meet waiting times, despite the summer being a traditionally quieter period, health officials have warned.

Hop along to popular beer and cider festival

Oxford Mail:

7:00am Friday 1st August 2014

REAL ale enthusiasts can enjoy a tipple when they visit Cogges Manor Farm in Witney tonight.

University Technical College plans approved

Oxford Mail:

6:30am Friday 1st August 2014

OXFORDSHIRE’S first specialist college for scientific research, computing and engineering was approved on Wednesday night.

Group ‘fears for future’ of community boatyard plan

Oxford Mail:

6:30am Friday 1st August 2014

FEARS have been raised over the future of a community boatyard after it was claimed essential mooring sites may not be available.

Family’s 10-year heartache over son lost in Himalayas

Oxford Mail:

6:00am Friday 1st August 2014

TEN years on from her son’s disappearance in the Himalayas, Gill Koch is still struggling to accept that he is dead.

Dad walking tall after his 70-mile trek for charity

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Thursday 31st July 2014

IT was a fitting end to an admirable feat.

Comments (7)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:06am Fri 16 May 14

Myron Blatz says...

Instead of cycling schemes, why not just ban cyclists from our roads and pavements? Inconsiderate and arrogant cyclists often put not only their own lives at risk, but those of up to 90 passengers on our lovely new eco-enhanced buses.
Instead of cycling schemes, why not just ban cyclists from our roads and pavements? Inconsiderate and arrogant cyclists often put not only their own lives at risk, but those of up to 90 passengers on our lovely new eco-enhanced buses. Myron Blatz
  • Score: 13

10:02am Fri 16 May 14

snert says...

Myron Blatz wrote:
Instead of cycling schemes, why not just ban cyclists from our roads and pavements? Inconsiderate and arrogant cyclists often put not only their own lives at risk, but those of up to 90 passengers on our lovely new eco-enhanced buses.
Let's not get into the silly cyclists vs drivers arguement. It's pointless and no-one wants to see anyone else's point of view and people start spouting poorly researched "facts" and quouting the highway code.

On a side note, I love these empty political statements which are devoid of anything useful, thinly disguised as something good that the people really want and it's good for the environment and costs hardly anything...

"...Meanwhile it is hoped that the cycle scheme will encourage employees at the Harwell campus to travel to work on two wheels rather than four..."

Hope away. It won't encourage many, if any at all, to ride to work. People like their car and that is that. Deal with it.
[quote][p][bold]Myron Blatz[/bold] wrote: Instead of cycling schemes, why not just ban cyclists from our roads and pavements? Inconsiderate and arrogant cyclists often put not only their own lives at risk, but those of up to 90 passengers on our lovely new eco-enhanced buses.[/p][/quote]Let's not get into the silly cyclists vs drivers arguement. It's pointless and no-one wants to see anyone else's point of view and people start spouting poorly researched "facts" and quouting the highway code. On a side note, I love these empty political statements which are devoid of anything useful, thinly disguised as something good that the people really want and it's good for the environment and costs hardly anything... "...Meanwhile it is hoped that the cycle scheme will encourage employees at the Harwell campus to travel to work on two wheels rather than four..." Hope away. It won't encourage many, if any at all, to ride to work. People like their car and that is that. Deal with it. snert
  • Score: 16

11:27am Fri 16 May 14

Danny3 says...

How many people on buses have been killed or injured by cyclists? It's the cyclists that come off dead or injured in any bus-bicycle collisions.

We need cycling infrastructure that keeps buses and cyclists out of each others' way. Given the constraints on space in central oxford, ultimately that means banning cars from the centre - except for out of hours loading and deliveries - and dividing the space between segregated bus and cycle lanes.
How many people on buses have been killed or injured by cyclists? It's the cyclists that come off dead or injured in any bus-bicycle collisions. We need cycling infrastructure that keeps buses and cyclists out of each others' way. Given the constraints on space in central oxford, ultimately that means banning cars from the centre - except for out of hours loading and deliveries - and dividing the space between segregated bus and cycle lanes. Danny3
  • Score: -12

12:02pm Fri 16 May 14

Floflo says...

snert wrote:
Myron Blatz wrote:
Instead of cycling schemes, why not just ban cyclists from our roads and pavements? Inconsiderate and arrogant cyclists often put not only their own lives at risk, but those of up to 90 passengers on our lovely new eco-enhanced buses.
Let's not get into the silly cyclists vs drivers arguement. It's pointless and no-one wants to see anyone else's point of view and people start spouting poorly researched "facts" and quouting the highway code.

On a side note, I love these empty political statements which are devoid of anything useful, thinly disguised as something good that the people really want and it's good for the environment and costs hardly anything...

"...Meanwhile it is hoped that the cycle scheme will encourage employees at the Harwell campus to travel to work on two wheels rather than four..."

Hope away. It won't encourage many, if any at all, to ride to work. People like their car and that is that. Deal with it.
On the subject of not seeing others point of view, I'm sure people do like their cars and some have no option, but on a day like this I can't imagine why anyone would prefer to be boxed into a car in preference to being in the fresh air.

The bridle way mentioned in this story to Harwell is beautiful. Keep on going past Harwell an you quickly get to the top of the Ridegeway. A clear view for files in every direction just minutes from your place of work. You just don't have the same sense freedom when you drive.

Hope you don't mind me getting wistful. Sadly I had no option but to drive today - my journey home is going to be just another dull congested slog to endure. With walking or cycling as part of your commute at least you can pretend that you are not part of the rat race twice a day!
[quote][p][bold]snert[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Myron Blatz[/bold] wrote: Instead of cycling schemes, why not just ban cyclists from our roads and pavements? Inconsiderate and arrogant cyclists often put not only their own lives at risk, but those of up to 90 passengers on our lovely new eco-enhanced buses.[/p][/quote]Let's not get into the silly cyclists vs drivers arguement. It's pointless and no-one wants to see anyone else's point of view and people start spouting poorly researched "facts" and quouting the highway code. On a side note, I love these empty political statements which are devoid of anything useful, thinly disguised as something good that the people really want and it's good for the environment and costs hardly anything... "...Meanwhile it is hoped that the cycle scheme will encourage employees at the Harwell campus to travel to work on two wheels rather than four..." Hope away. It won't encourage many, if any at all, to ride to work. People like their car and that is that. Deal with it.[/p][/quote]On the subject of not seeing others point of view, I'm sure people do like their cars and some have no option, but on a day like this I can't imagine why anyone would prefer to be boxed into a car in preference to being in the fresh air. The bridle way mentioned in this story to Harwell is beautiful. Keep on going past Harwell an you quickly get to the top of the Ridegeway. A clear view for files in every direction just minutes from your place of work. You just don't have the same sense freedom when you drive. Hope you don't mind me getting wistful. Sadly I had no option but to drive today - my journey home is going to be just another dull congested slog to endure. With walking or cycling as part of your commute at least you can pretend that you are not part of the rat race twice a day! Floflo
  • Score: -9

12:59pm Fri 16 May 14

yabbadabbadoo256 says...

Floflo wrote:
snert wrote:
Myron Blatz wrote:
Instead of cycling schemes, why not just ban cyclists from our roads and pavements? Inconsiderate and arrogant cyclists often put not only their own lives at risk, but those of up to 90 passengers on our lovely new eco-enhanced buses.
Let's not get into the silly cyclists vs drivers arguement. It's pointless and no-one wants to see anyone else's point of view and people start spouting poorly researched "facts" and quouting the highway code.

On a side note, I love these empty political statements which are devoid of anything useful, thinly disguised as something good that the people really want and it's good for the environment and costs hardly anything...

"...Meanwhile it is hoped that the cycle scheme will encourage employees at the Harwell campus to travel to work on two wheels rather than four..."

Hope away. It won't encourage many, if any at all, to ride to work. People like their car and that is that. Deal with it.
On the subject of not seeing others point of view, I'm sure people do like their cars and some have no option, but on a day like this I can't imagine why anyone would prefer to be boxed into a car in preference to being in the fresh air.

The bridle way mentioned in this story to Harwell is beautiful. Keep on going past Harwell an you quickly get to the top of the Ridegeway. A clear view for files in every direction just minutes from your place of work. You just don't have the same sense freedom when you drive.

Hope you don't mind me getting wistful. Sadly I had no option but to drive today - my journey home is going to be just another dull congested slog to endure. With walking or cycling as part of your commute at least you can pretend that you are not part of the rat race twice a day!
I dont feel boxed in in my convertable...
[quote][p][bold]Floflo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]snert[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Myron Blatz[/bold] wrote: Instead of cycling schemes, why not just ban cyclists from our roads and pavements? Inconsiderate and arrogant cyclists often put not only their own lives at risk, but those of up to 90 passengers on our lovely new eco-enhanced buses.[/p][/quote]Let's not get into the silly cyclists vs drivers arguement. It's pointless and no-one wants to see anyone else's point of view and people start spouting poorly researched "facts" and quouting the highway code. On a side note, I love these empty political statements which are devoid of anything useful, thinly disguised as something good that the people really want and it's good for the environment and costs hardly anything... "...Meanwhile it is hoped that the cycle scheme will encourage employees at the Harwell campus to travel to work on two wheels rather than four..." Hope away. It won't encourage many, if any at all, to ride to work. People like their car and that is that. Deal with it.[/p][/quote]On the subject of not seeing others point of view, I'm sure people do like their cars and some have no option, but on a day like this I can't imagine why anyone would prefer to be boxed into a car in preference to being in the fresh air. The bridle way mentioned in this story to Harwell is beautiful. Keep on going past Harwell an you quickly get to the top of the Ridegeway. A clear view for files in every direction just minutes from your place of work. You just don't have the same sense freedom when you drive. Hope you don't mind me getting wistful. Sadly I had no option but to drive today - my journey home is going to be just another dull congested slog to endure. With walking or cycling as part of your commute at least you can pretend that you are not part of the rat race twice a day![/p][/quote]I dont feel boxed in in my convertable... yabbadabbadoo256
  • Score: 11

9:41am Sat 17 May 14

Myron Blatz says...

Seem to have hit several 'raw nerves' because its a funny old world when freedom of speech is apparently only valid for those who agree with each other. But then, I don't wear spandex cycling gear, ignore traffic lights, or mow-down pedestrians on the the footpath when riding my own bike as a simple means of transport, rather than an eco-political statement of mono-focussed ethical or moral values. And by the way, fewer bus passengers get injured than cyclists, because public transport is inherently much safer.
Seem to have hit several 'raw nerves' because its a funny old world when freedom of speech is apparently only valid for those who agree with each other. But then, I don't wear spandex cycling gear, ignore traffic lights, or mow-down pedestrians on the the footpath when riding my own bike as a simple means of transport, rather than an eco-political statement of mono-focussed ethical or moral values. And by the way, fewer bus passengers get injured than cyclists, because public transport is inherently much safer. Myron Blatz
  • Score: 3

8:30pm Thu 22 May 14

HPG says...

Not one cyclist along those roads to Harwell has looked behind themselves when turning/indicating/o
vertaking other cyclists/ dodging potholes/dodging puddles...help yourselves before a driver is accused of manslaughter as its always car hits cyclist not cyclist hits car.
Not one cyclist along those roads to Harwell has looked behind themselves when turning/indicating/o vertaking other cyclists/ dodging potholes/dodging puddles...help yourselves before a driver is accused of manslaughter as its always car hits cyclist not cyclist hits car. HPG
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree