Half marathon names Oxfam and hospice as beneficiaries

Race director Andrew Taylor with, from left, Poppy Hanbury and Kate Sankey of Helen & Douglas House, and Erika Dallimore and Damon Boughen of Oxfam.  Picture: OX67204 Jon Lewis

Race director Andrew Taylor with, from left, Poppy Hanbury and Kate Sankey of Helen & Douglas House, and Erika Dallimore and Damon Boughen of Oxfam. Picture: OX67204 Jon Lewis Buy this photo

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter covering Headington and Marston. Call me on 01865 425422

TWO-THOUSAND people have signed up for the fourth Oxford Half Marathon, with Helen and Douglas House and Oxfam named as its main charities.

Oxfam will be the official lead charity for this year’s race, which will see about 6,000 runners take on a 13.1-mile course through the city on Sunday, October 12.

Organisers confirmed Oxford’s Helen and Douglas House will be this year’s local charity for the race, which starts and finishes at the Kassam Stadium.

Race director Andrew Taylor confirmed 2,000 runners have signed up to take part.

Oxford Mail:

Runners pass through the Mini plant at Cowley in 2012’s race

He has directed the Bath Half Marathon since 2000 and said: “We’ve had 2,000 entries and that is well up on last year’s event. It is going very well.

“We’ve got a couple of new things we will be bringing into the race. We want to get other local charities to sign up to the event.

“We are delighted to have these two charities on board.

“Helen and Douglas House have been part of the event since the beginning. We have loved working with them.

“It is a fantastic cause and it is great to be working with them. We are delighted.”

Organisers have urged runners to get their entries in early to secure their place on the course which runs through the centre of the city.

Charities who are keen to sign up as official partners have until May 30 to register their interest.

Charity director of the Oxford Half Marathon Limited Mel Taylor said: “This is the first step of our ambition to develop the race into one of the largest charity fundraisers in the South East.

“We would welcome applications from more local charities, and discounted entries are being offered to charities within Oxfordshire.”

Charity fundraisers joined race chiefs at the Kassam Stadium to announce their support for this year’s race.

Oxfam Running events manager Erica Dallimore confirmed more than 500 runners would take to the race in Oxfam colours.

She said: “As an Oxford-based charity working globally to overcome poverty, this is a fantastic opportunity to engage the local community in this exciting event and raise vital funds for our work around the world. We look forward to supporting every single runner on their 13.1-mile journey.”

Senior community and events fundraiser for Helen and Douglas House, Poppy Hanbury, said: “It’s wonderful to be part of a local event which involves and benefits the local community.

“The Oxford Half is one of the most popular events in our calendar and runners even run past the hospice en route.”

The hospice, which this year marks its 10th anniversary, provides palliative care to children and young adults in Oxfordshire.

The half marathon saw more than 5,000 take part last year.

And the Oxford Mail is the offical media partner for the event and will bring you all the latest news.

  • Details of how to enter this year’s event are available on the Oxford Mail website, oxfordmail.co.uk.
  • Runners can register at oxfordhalf.co.uk

Our top stories:

Army will apologise to paratrooper after bullying claim at RAF Brize Norton upheld

Oxford Mail:

4:11pm Wednesday 1st October 2014

THE Army has said it will apologise to a paratrooper who lost three limbs in Afghanistan after his complaint of bullying was upheld.

Witney job centre cordoned off after suspicious package scare

Oxford Mail:

11:38am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A job centre was cordoned off after reports of a suspicious package.

Two road closures next week on A34 and in Oxford

Oxford Mail: Traffic Alert general

10:52am Wednesday 1st October 2014

PARTS of the A34 and Walton Street will be closed next week as roadworks are carried out.

Thames Water under fire from residents who say they’ve been left in the dark

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

ANGRY residents flooded out of their homes say they are being left in the dark by Thames Water a week after disaster struck.

One lane of Botley Road shut for emergency work

Oxford Mail: Burst water main closes Lower Hall Lane in Chingford

9:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

THAMES Water started emergency roadworks in Botley Road last night.

WATCH: Right royal occasion as RAF hands on helicopters + video

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

PRINCE Andrew joined RAF personnel and Royal Navy staff as they paraded at RAF Benson yesterday to mark one of the base’s helicopter squadrons being officially disbanded.

Bridge fall man is still critically ill in hospital

Oxford Mail: Foorball forges links between police and youngsters

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A man was last night still fighting for his life in hospital after falling from a bridge and colliding with a vehicle.

Sex with teen denied

Oxford Mail: Oxford Crown Court

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A man has gone on trial accused of having sex with a 14-year-old girl.

Brothel sentence delay

Oxford Mail: Oxford Crown Court

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

Two women who admitted being involved in running a brothel had the date for their sentencing changed.

More child sex victims are being identified

Oxford Mail: Bullfinch banner 630

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

HIGH-profile sex trafficking cases like Oxford’s Operation Bullfinch have led to more child victims being identified, the National Crime Agency (NCA) has said.

Teenage girl a victim of ‘revenge pornography’

Oxford Mail: Foorball forges links between police and youngsters

8:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A 13-year-old girl is among the region’s victims of so-called “revenge pornography”.

Just one more series for me says Lewis star

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

LEWIS star Kevin Whately has said he only wants to appear in one more series of the Oxford-based TV drama.

Burglary case put back

Oxford Mail: Oxford Crown Court

8:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A 32-year-old man accused of burgling a home and stealing a BMW from the driveway had his case adjourned yesterday.

Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes turns his cameras on wartime Blenheim Palace

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

THE creator of hit TV drama Downton Abbey has been investigating how the real-life stately home of Blenheim Palace coped with the First World War.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree