SOME of these people might not look like your average athletes, but today they’re heading off to Amsterdam to represent the UK.
They are part of Oxfordshire Pickleball Club, which plays an obscure racquet sport originally from the US.
As far as its members know, the club is the only one in England that plays.
Abingdon resident Gill Smith, 77, is one of the 13-member team going to the Netherlands.
The great-grandmother of two said: “I am terrified but absolutely excited.
“I have loved my sport and played a lot of them but this is the first time I have represented my country at anything.
“We became involved because we happened to be playing badminton, and we were asked to play pickleball. We gave it a go and we got hooked more or less immediately because it is such a good game.”
Mrs Smith, who used to be a teacher in Nottinghamshire, said: “My family thinks it is absolutely wonderful and they are very pleased I am keeping active.”
She said there would be teams representing countries such as Spain, France and Canada at the two-day international pickleball competition, which is being held in Europe for the first time.
Club co-founder Maureen Wilson, 63, said: “There are groups in Abingdon, Kidlington and Witney, and they are the only groups we know of in England, though there is one in Scotland.
“People cannot believe how it has taken off. It is a milder game than tennis so it’s easier to play. Over in Florida most of the players are 50 or over.”
She said the sport was introduced with the help of Oxfordshire Sports Partnership’s Go Active team because the racquets are not sold in the UK.
Go Active coordinator for Cherwell, Christina Higgs, said: “It is an adaptation of tennis which makes it easier to play and more accessible.
“We have a newsletter which goes out and we promote it on there.”
People can attend practice sessions at Kidlington and Gosford Lesiure Centre on Fridays, between 7.30pm and 9pm, or at the White Horse Leisure Centre in Abingdon, on Tuesdays, between 2pm and 3pm. Alternatively email email@example.com
But what is pickleball? Watch this video
Our top stories:
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street
- Chain running Randolph Hotel in Oxford in 'best shape ever' after announcing £55m profit
- Cyclist and car involved in collision outside Seacourt Tower
- Oxford United vow to act quickly to resolve flag-waving dispute
- UPDATE: Three more men arrested in connection with attempted murder after altercation in Banbury
- Oxford United v Swindon Town - UPDATES
- CLARIFICATION: Hygiene report of Delight 2 in Didcot
- Man 'obsessed' with BBC journalist goes on trial after allegedly breaching restraining order against her
- Families urged to consider signing up for organ donation