SOME of these people might not look like your average athletes, but today they’re heading off to Amsterdam to represent the UK.
They are part of Oxfordshire Pickleball Club, which plays an obscure racquet sport originally from the US.
As far as its members know, the club is the only one in England that plays.
Abingdon resident Gill Smith, 77, is one of the 13-member team going to the Netherlands.
The great-grandmother of two said: “I am terrified but absolutely excited.
“I have loved my sport and played a lot of them but this is the first time I have represented my country at anything.
“We became involved because we happened to be playing badminton, and we were asked to play pickleball. We gave it a go and we got hooked more or less immediately because it is such a good game.”
Mrs Smith, who used to be a teacher in Nottinghamshire, said: “My family thinks it is absolutely wonderful and they are very pleased I am keeping active.”
She said there would be teams representing countries such as Spain, France and Canada at the two-day international pickleball competition, which is being held in Europe for the first time.
Club co-founder Maureen Wilson, 63, said: “There are groups in Abingdon, Kidlington and Witney, and they are the only groups we know of in England, though there is one in Scotland.
“People cannot believe how it has taken off. It is a milder game than tennis so it’s easier to play. Over in Florida most of the players are 50 or over.”
She said the sport was introduced with the help of Oxfordshire Sports Partnership’s Go Active team because the racquets are not sold in the UK.
Go Active coordinator for Cherwell, Christina Higgs, said: “It is an adaptation of tennis which makes it easier to play and more accessible.
“We have a newsletter which goes out and we promote it on there.”
People can attend practice sessions at Kidlington and Gosford Lesiure Centre on Fridays, between 7.30pm and 9pm, or at the White Horse Leisure Centre in Abingdon, on Tuesdays, between 2pm and 3pm. Alternatively email email@example.com
But what is pickleball? Watch this video
Our top stories:
- Sexual assaults are denied
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year
- Tackling cyber-crime and fraud are main priorities for Conservative police commissioner candidate
- Prime Minister says he has no offshore funds following Panama Papers leak
- Traders called on to support this summer's Cowley Road Carnival
- Tributes paid in Witney to former butcher and much-loved member of community
- Successful education scheme from Oxford charity to be rolled out across the UK
- Stunt actor from Oxford meets his match on Take Me Out
- 11 years on, pupils jump for joy over installation of crossing
- Barton gets £4m cash boost to transform estate’s homes and shops
- Time-travelling story takes top spot in our Ox Tales competition
- Former Oxford City director Thomas Guerriero pleads guilty to $6.6m fraud
- Police confirm dead baby was newborn and renew desperate appeal to find mother
- Adam says yes after reading girlfriend's Leap Day proposal on the Oxford Mail website