CHILDREN were delighted by fires and the forest on a trip with community group Heart of the Wildwood.
Anabelle Kinghan, two, was one of many tots taken to woodland near Littleworth Road in Wheatley to learn about cooking, animals, insects and trees. She said: “I like cooking bread the best.”
Mum and organiser Melanie Kinghan, from Little Milton, is a forest teacher and founder of the group.
The 40-year-old said: “We can start taking children out from as young as six months. Anabelle has been coming since then and she loves it. By the time they are two they know all their boundaries about fire and cooking. They can learn about making things, like dens, or climb trees, all of their own accord.
“We do these days out in co-operation with the children’s centre in Wheatley. The main purpose is to get the kids outdoors and free-playing.
“We don’t try to teach them things unless they ask about them or want to learn.
“So if they find some little insects and want to learn, we teach.”
The group meets on Mondays. For more information call 07582 935427.
Our top stories:
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street
- Chain running Randolph Hotel in Oxford in 'best shape ever' after announcing £55m profit
- Cyclist and car involved in collision outside Seacourt Tower
- Oxford United vow to act quickly to resolve flag-waving dispute
- UPDATE: Three more men arrested in connection with attempted murder after altercation in Banbury
- Oxford United v Swindon Town - UPDATES
- CLARIFICATION: Hygiene report of Delight 2 in Didcot
- Man 'obsessed' with BBC journalist goes on trial after allegedly breaching restraining order against her